Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why Deathwish Records Has So Many Good Bands...

I listen to a lot of music, and I tend to do so focusing on a particular genre at a time.  My last genre was the pulsating sensation of french electronica - mostly the stuff on Ed Banger, but I came across a lot of other good bands through some late night internet browsing (like the Bloody Beetroots, Punks Jump Up, the Bumblebeez, and the Field.)  I also learned that there was this whole new dance coming out of the French electronic scene called "tektronik".
 
Admittedly, I've watched my fair share of this utterly mesmerizing and ridiculous dancing.  (for a sample, click here, here or here - but watch out, it just might ruin French electronic music for you too.).  That was when I knew it was time to move onto a new genre.  I think my psyche instinctually sought balance to the overwhelming femininity of the French muzak by craving once again hardcore music.  

I've always loved hardcore music, but I've always been horrendously picky in choosing the bands that I can listen to and really get into their music.  Some of my favorite hardcore bands that still get rotation are the Refused, Converge, Transistor Transistor, Envy, and Das Oath.  So lately I've been searching out some good new hardcore bands, which, like I said is really hard because so much hardcore is like this Korn-y numetal prog-rock crap.  So many bands these days have at least one element that render them unlistenable - like a singer who sings all Megadethy, with that weird kind of accent.  Or they are the Locust, and just want to please themselves with so many rapid-fire, amorphous hardcore ejaculations, that I just feel jizzed all over after I listen to it.  

So yes, I am somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to hardcore music.  For this reason Converge really stands apart as one of my all time favorite hardcore bands and one of the most important bands currently playing music. (Emusic used to have almost all of their music available, but apparently not anymore.) Not only do I find their musicianship and songwriting impeccable, but they are real.  I came across further evidence of this tonight while I was browsing emusic, and again ended up checking out Deathwish Records bands again.  In the last few weeks I keep going back to Deathwish because so many of their bands keep coming up so satisfactory.  And as I was looking at different bands, I kept noticing that Jacob Bannon did almost all of the album covers.  Jacob Bannon, the name sounds familiar.  Yes, it is Converge's singer.  Then I notice that a bunch of the albums are produced by Kurt Ballou, Converge's guitarist.  After a quick search it turns out Deathwish is Jake Bannon's record label, and Converge is obviously involved in the recording and designing of Deathwish's bands.  Its no wonder then that I've taken so keenly to these bands, and I will now investigate them with renewed interest and fervor.   

p.s. I'll have a review up next week about the Deathwish band that I've really been enjoying lately.....

No comments: